Monday, December 12, 2011

Greece Week 4 & 5

Yep, I'm behind again so this will be a quick overview of some of the things we've done in the last 2 weeks. If I don't get busy on this post I will be combining 3 weeks :)

This is what Calcium depletion does to your bones. This is the bone experiment we started in week 3. We soaked a chicken bone in Vinegar for 8 days. After 8 days the chicken bone was squishy & easy to bend. Kinda freaky :) A great lesson to refer to when the kids don't want to finish their milk.

I bought 2 bunches of asparagus to try as another example of Greek food. Not well received as you can see from the picture. I ended up eating both bunches for lunch last week. Good thing I like asparagus .


Each kid made a bowl or cup out of red clay to demonstrate how the Greeks made pottery. After they dried a couple days we sprayed them with a glossy finish. Now they adorn the top of my kitchen pantry out of harms way. I love to look around the house and see the projects we've worked on :)


We've added a "Christmas " day to our week where we talk about the history of Christmas and do some fun holiday stuff. I look forward to this day of the week. Especially with all the hustle & bustle it's nice to have some scheduled down time to enjoy the holiday. Last week we made hot cocoa mixes and put together a Christmas package for our pen pal in Rwanda.

Only one more week of regular scheduled school time and then we will take a break until the new year. Change is on the horizon & schooling will be a little different for the new year. I have found that trying to meet all 4 of their individual needs/wants has not been successful with the unit study approach. The older 2 want to be more independent & the younger 2 need more of my undivided attention. So, it is in the works to make that happen. Divide & conquer :)

1 comment:

  1. For Greek food try Baklava...maybe dried figs or dates. Those are Greek right? And Zoe liked it in New York. Gross chicken bone....

    ReplyDelete